OA Farse!!!

Σχέδιο μόδας, Styling, Σχεδίαση υφασμάτων

OA Farse!!!

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 31.05.09, 11:49 am

Is it any surprise? No, not really. The latest competition to redesign the new look for Olympic Airways may be a fix. How so, may you ask? Well, the fact I have lived in Greece for some years now has taught me that corruption is ripe here, and that the simple language of "who you know" out weighs "what you know" and is a legendary epitaph that drags the country down to the lowest levels of unsportsman like conduct. This latest show is a typical example to those values that keep Greece in a hold that stifle its own development.

The competition was opened some time back, to Greek residents only. A good challenge to draw on the talents of the country and see some shining star rise to the challenge of delivering the new livery of the debt ridden airline. Recently bought out by the Marfin Investment Group. Last week saw the result of this long awaited competition. And to no surprise, who was in the number one slot? (number one slot) Why is it no surprise? Well, OK, she is a well known Greek designer, and known for her work, but also has a direct connection to people who run Olympic Airways, or have set the competition. So is it a great surprise they end up at the number one slot. Well, I think looking at the actual quality of the design work and the two opposing entries then it does seem a little bias towards getting them selected as the overall winners.

Another funny thing I notice in this method of open and fair competition, is that the voting panel on the site has one big error. Now, I am not going to vote to see if this is the case or not, but as it stands it doesn't seem to require an email address or any other form of verification of who you are. Now, maybe in political circles this is the true fashion of democracy, but surely if this voting system is set, not even to record IP addresses, then it is open to abuse. We could have people just sitting there all day and clicking. Also, who is to say that this voting will also be used as a measure. No record to be used in verification means any number could be applied to the outcome.

The results, when out, will prove only one of two things. Either that this whole competition was a fix and that (number one slot) was destined before the start of the competition to be the new designer of the Olympic livery, or that the method and section of the three finalists was set and the arena of new, striking fashion and creativity has been lost over political gain by the people in the elite circles that seem to fly higher than the planes themselves.
practice safe design : use a concept
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Re: OA Farse!!!

Δημοσίευσηαπό penlix » 31.05.09, 3:51 pm

Hello Rob,

the whole idea of the competition smells bad in so many different ways.

There's a topic on VCDC about the Logo competition:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16149

there's a topic about the Greek Graphic Designers Association's reply to Marfin:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16171

and so much more.

Do you want to share there with us information, maybe useful links about this big issue?
Άβαταρ μέλους
penlix
Adminilicious

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 01.06.09, 8:05 am

I don't remember the exact details at present, as it was in a conversation with someone. But they mentioned that there was a family related connection between the brother and/or sister to part of Olympic Airways or Marfin or the Competition organisers (if different). I will investigate more.
Interesting to see that other aspects of this group are also under scrutiny.
If you want to make a public statement I put a comment here on "Ta Nea"
Link
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 01.06.09, 9:13 pm

After some research I have found that this is the connection between Marfin and The 1st place entrant.

"There is a connection indeed! Her husband (Νίκος Τσάκος, ship owner) is one of MIG & Βγενόπουλος partners.
Is this enough for you or you want some more research?"

As a fashion designer friend told me.
Now, is that a coincidence or what?

Smell funny?
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 01.06.09, 9:35 pm

This is an email I received from the Marfin group representative:
I assure you that there is no direct connection between Celia Kritharioti and the organizers of the competition whatsoever. We picked her as one of the three finalists because we simply liked her proposal – simple and elegant.

We remain at your disposal should you have any further comments.

Best regards,

A S
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό penlix » 01.06.09, 11:07 pm

Welcome to our lovely country Rob!

Εικόνα
Άβαταρ μέλους
penlix
Adminilicious

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 02.06.09, 10:46 pm

The reply from Marfin today:

I wasn’t aware of this connection; on the other hand, MIG is a holding company and too many people are connected with it, one way or the other.

Given I participated in the committee however, I assure you that this connection was not ‘on the table’ when we decided that we wanted Krithariotis’ proposal to be one of the three finalists.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό panevan » 03.06.09, 2:33 pm

Rob Snow έγραψε:After some research I have found that this is the connection between Marfin and The 1st place entrant.

"There is a connection indeed! Her husband (Νίκος Τσάκος, ship owner) is one of MIG & Βγενόπουλος partners.
Is this enough for you or you want some more research?"

As a fashion designer friend told me.
Now, is that a coincidence or what?

Smell funny?

In my opinion, this connection is a very big sign of what happens with this contest.
I bet that Mrs. Kritharioti will win.

Anyway, as someone mentioned before " Olympic Airways is now private agency and the owner take the decisions".

Good job Rob.
Άβαταρ μέλους
panevan
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό panevan » 10.06.09, 11:50 am

panevan έγραψε:In my opinion, this connection is a very big sign of what happens with this contest.
I bet that Mrs. Kritharioti will win.

Greece All The Way.
Άβαταρ μέλους
panevan
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό grafistakos » 10.06.09, 6:28 pm

Λες ο κουμπάρος της να είναι γραφίστας?
grafistakos

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 12.06.09, 4:25 pm

There you go.
She won!!!

No surprise

Still chancing stuff on this though.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 12.06.09, 6:51 pm

So...she is the most well known and famous designer in greece from all 3 of the contestants. She has many many friends which may have voted for her. Her design was the most feminine one (for the stewardesses) and also involve the circles as a symbol (which as we read on the new logo brief must remain on new logo too). So it is not a surprise since the most famous has more friends or followers...the most famous wins. One more point for having this kind of relationship, so it seems very natural to me!!@!!!
Nothing Lasts Forever...!
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 16.06.09, 5:08 pm

So, you are saying that nepotism is OK?
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 16.06.09, 5:11 pm

VaLKyRiE έγραψε:So...she is the most well known and famous designer in greece from all 3 of the contestants. One more point for having this kind of relationship, so it seems very natural to me!!@!!!

Also, wouldn't you think, that if it were (and I'm not saying it was) directed toward her winning, that the other two entries were selected for their weaker stance, in order for her to get a better approach to victory?
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 16.06.09, 5:19 pm

i am not saying anything... i just assume :? . It is just ordinary that the most famous and "big name" wins in such cases!
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 16.06.09, 5:32 pm

VaLKyRiE έγραψε:i am not saying anything... i just assume :? . It is just ordinary that the most famous and "big name" wins in such cases!

That is hardly fair, however.
There is a great deal of talent out there, and they don't stand a chance due to nepotism.
This is why rules are put in place.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 16.06.09, 6:07 pm

Unfortunatelly when these kind of contests give the same chance to big names and unknown or small artists, small unknown artists do not really stand a chance, moreover when money prizes are big, and the name of the contest holder is thaaaaaaaaaaat big.
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 16.06.09, 6:25 pm

If anyone knows where I can get hold a copy of the competition rules, I would be grateful.
Just to check them over.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Δημοσίευσηαπό prop4g4nd4 » 16.06.09, 8:39 pm

Rob Snow έγραψε:If anyone knows where I can get hold a copy of the competition rules, I would be grateful.
Just to check them over.

here's MIG's published PDFs (so far) regarding the logo competition
all official & still available on their website. direct links:

contest announcement
http://www.marfininvestmentgroup.com/dm ... _Fpvs2.pdf

date extension
http://www.marfininvestmentgroup.com/dm ... _--HW6.pdf

individual statement form
http://www.marfininvestmentgroup.com/dm ... _RsT1j.pdf

unfortunately, i can only find greek versions.
if you have trouble in translation i suppose we can help out
(although i reckon some parts were still not crystal-clear even for native greeks...)
i can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

http://www.prop4g4nd4.com
Άβαταρ μέλους
prop4g4nd4

Δημοσίευσηαπό Rob Snow » 17.06.09, 8:12 am

Thanks for these.
It seems that these are for the logo competition.
I was looking for the rules for the fashion competition.

Thanks again
Άβαταρ μέλους
Rob Snow

Επόμενο

Επιστροφή στο VI.ΙΙΙ Fashion & Textile Design

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτή την Δ. Συζήτηση : Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 1 επισκέπτης

Visual Communication Designers Club

Το Visual Communication Designers Club, το μεγαλύτερο Ελληνικό online design forum, αποτελεί μια Ελληνική κοινότητα σχεδιαστών οπτικής επικοινωνίας, υπό την ευρύτερη έννοια του όρου, θέλοντας να συμπεριλάβει στα μέλη της κάθε ειδικότητα και βαθμίδα όσων σπουδάζουν ή εργάζονται στον χώρο της επικοινωνίας, έντυπης, διαδικτυακής, τρισδιάστατης ή εφαρμογών πολυμέσων