Salary

Does everything seem Greek to you? Use English, German, French or Italian here!

Salary

Δημοσίευσηαπό Elle » 18.05.07, 5:42 pm

Hi all,

I am very confused with the Greek ads for design jobs. No-one mentions salary?! Howcome?!

Any ideas of roughly what to expect per year for the following positions in Athens:

Junior Art

Senior Art

Art Director

On a full-time employment basis. Just a rough idea...Thanks!!!
Elle

Δημοσίευσηαπό doctor_john » 18.05.07, 7:11 pm

Hi Elpida!

Every employer in greece will try to squise your guts out from the first minute, and that is the reason that everybody avoid to refer about salary.
They will try to make you feel uncomfortable while they will talk with pride for their achivements. They will hide a lot of their expected obligations when they describe your post, and leave money talk for the end.

Of cource they will ask about what you expect for payment, and try to reduce it no mater your answer was.

As far as i know, the levels that you ask about (when you find someone that knows about) are close to:

Junior: 640 - 850euros

Senior: 750-900euros

Art: 850 - 1400euros

Welcome to our community! :D

8)
Θέλω να σχεδιάσω τίτλους σε ταινία!!!
Άβαταρ μέλους
doctor_john
Old Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό zero2one » 18.05.07, 7:19 pm

Ι hope thats not true
1400 max?? :?
Staff έγραψε:Όταν παίζεις υπάρχει μεγάλη πιθανότητα να χάσεις, όταν δεν παίζεις δεν υπάρχει καμία πιθανότητα να κερδίσεις.
:]-"
Άβαταρ μέλους
zero2one

Δημοσίευσηαπό doctor_john » 18.05.07, 7:29 pm

By what i 've already experienced its more than true , except if you believe that you will work for a world known advertising company... if so, you can add 200-500 euros depending your post.

8)
Θέλω να σχεδιάσω τίτλους σε ταινία!!!
Άβαταρ μέλους
doctor_john
Old Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό crs » 18.05.07, 7:46 pm

Hi Elpida and welcome to our forum,

unfortunately the salaries dr.john mention are true.
We have to clear out that not all of the employers behave the way doctor told you, but it's kind of a rule in small or mid size companies, which are "ruled" by persons who are not designers, or don't know anything about design (common thing in Greece). :)

(we're always talking about full-time employment basis)
No longer active
crs

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 18.05.07, 9:58 pm

i agree. i worked for 4 years in a medium advertising agency (2000-2004) as a junior with 580 euro, after 4 years my sallary was 613...(plus insurance)...things are really bad you think????
Nothing Lasts Forever...!
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό lara » 18.05.07, 11:06 pm

Elpida you should mention your questions during your interviews.. someone has to help the situation to change for the best of all of us!!!

its not fair!! people working 20 hours per day 7 days per week and not one paid overtime!! and if they dare to talk, they show them the door...

but not everyone is like that.. good luck
and welcome to Greece .....
Ψηφίστε μας εδώ μέχρι τις 4/7/2011 !! κι εμείς, άμα κερδίσουμε, θα σας κεράσουμε ! ευχαριστούμεε!
Άβαταρ μέλους
lara
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό Justelene » 19.05.07, 10:47 am

VaLKyRiE έγραψε:i agree. i worked for 4 years in a medium advertising agency (2000-2004) as a junior with 580 euro, after 4 years my sallary was 613...(plus insurance)...things are really bad you think????

:shock: :shock: :shock:

full time?????
Everything. Everyone. Everywhere. Ends.
www.statikmotion.com
Justelene
Old Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 19.05.07, 6:40 pm

Justelene έγραψε:
VaLKyRiE έγραψε:i agree. i worked for 4 years in a medium advertising agency (2000-2004) as a junior with 580 euro, after 4 years my sallary was 613...(plus insurance)...things are really bad you think????

:shock: :shock: :shock:

full time?????

ofcourse fulltime and OVERTIME! the experience was a good lesson to me! never let them take advantage of you nomatter what they promise. Two of my colleagues (we were together in this) had not had the promised bonusses but were fired some months later.
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό Elle » 20.05.07, 3:22 am

Madness! Just madness....I know ladies who clean houses on better salaries! What has the world coming to?

Lets hear something positive though....what is the highest you've heard a designer get paid in Greece?
Elle

Δημοσίευσηαπό Elle » 20.05.07, 8:20 am

oh Yes, one more thing...did these figures include or exclude tax?

Thanks
Elle

Δημοσίευσηαπό lara » 20.05.07, 11:18 am

A friend of mine that works for a tv channel gets 1.800 per month net
but he is working often many hours more than his 8 hours, sometimes he is called to work even the weekends and he is not paid his overtime.

Apart from that he is complaining cause there is not a proper worklfow organization cause the people higher are put there not for their abilities on organizing but for their abilities on socializing.

Also many complain that their work is judged and altered by people that are not professionals on design and aesthetics.
Ψηφίστε μας εδώ μέχρι τις 4/7/2011 !! κι εμείς, άμα κερδίσουμε, θα σας κεράσουμε ! ευχαριστούμεε!
Άβαταρ μέλους
lara
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 20.05.07, 3:46 pm

a friend of mine is 45 years old , works since his 20s and is paid 1100 euros now... it doesnt matter how experienced you are. the budget of each company defines if and when the can pay more somenone that they think is worth it. If the budget dissallows a salary raise then they just tell you " ok you start with 800 euros and you will soon get bonusses and raises" . You agree and after that you see that bonusses and raises just do not come.

Now some encouraging news in some way:
i have a very good friend that is still in her first job is its like she won the lottery. The thing is she is not actually a creative graphic designer, where she works, and her job is in Kapandriti (she needs half an hour to go there and pay tolls too). She designs a monthly magazine for a research institute (medical stuff) pretty much the same old boring things every month, with a a standart layout and ugly pictures that make you sick (cancer related). But ok, her salary after 3 years is 1300 euros (STARTED WITH 1000!!!!!), they offer free lunch everyday indoors tha is cooked there, the institute is in the fresh air and trees are all around calm and peaceful, and when her work attends seminars or makes conferences they offer them free admitance-hotel-all expenses, for just being there in case they are needed. Actually it s a free vacation coming from nowhere. Lastly, she has a avery good relationship with the boss (like father & daughter thing) and if for some reason she cannot go to work for a day, she works at home and the day is not counted as a day off or not payed for it....I dont know...would you take that kind of job? I have thought of it and it is quite a dillema!
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό theosdesign » 01.06.07, 10:27 am

The conclusion is that payments in Greece are below the average from European Union countries, and no one do anything about.
It's a piity for all of as.
Theo|s Design
graphic+visual designer
Άβαταρ μέλους
theosdesign

Δημοσίευσηαπό VaLKyRiE » 01.06.07, 11:17 am

agree....some years ago we were talking about if cleaning stairs is more profitable than "creating". And as it seems it is. Last month they asked me for 50 euros for 8 hours of house cleaning! if you think about it, the money you get for working 8 hours, are almost half of that!
Άβαταρ μέλους
VaLKyRiE
Master Member

Δημοσίευσηαπό Jason » 20.08.07, 10:14 pm

Elle έγραψε:Madness! Just madness....I know ladies who clean houses on better salaries! What has the world coming to?

Lets hear something positive though....what is the highest you've heard a designer get paid in Greece?

Of course cleaning houses will earn you more money!
It’s because no one wants to do it. And that’s why plumbers earn around 3000 per month. Go do it if you can!

Now, in reality tell me! What is easier? Being a plumber or being a junior designer?

No offence, I don’t want to downgrade the value of the designer. Besides, what I am saying is that being a junior designer is ALOT easier than being a successful designer! I am actually upgrading the value of the successful designer by downgrading that of the junior.

This has a simple explanation. Anyone who can use Photoshop and knows a few design principles calls himself a graphic designer. The successful graphic designer has TALENT! And that is what makes the big difference from the junior designer and the plumber! It’s like football players, some earn 600 euros per month and others earn 300,000 euros per month. It’s the talent, not the knowledge to use Photoshop or the knowledge of the football game rules!

I know Art Directors who earn more than 3,500 euros per month! Prove that you have talent and push the company you work for to earn money out of it! Then you will be the next 3500 euro art director!

Do you have the talent or did you just learn how to apply a few filters and make a few tricks in Photoshop?
Jason Kataropoulos
Web developer and consultant
My rants: http://www.skc.gr
My office: http://www.atcom.gr
Software is so human centric that I wonder if it should be referred to as a technology.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Jason

Δημοσίευσηαπό heretakis » 04.09.07, 10:57 pm

This does not change the deplorable level of greek employee salaries though. Because a Creative Director, without excellent Art Directors cant push the company very far.
Magna est veritas et prevalebit.
Άβαταρ μέλους
heretakis

Επιστροφή στο Χ.ΙΙ International Posts !

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτή την Δ. Συζήτηση : Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 1 επισκέπτης

Visual Communication Designers Club

Το Visual Communication Designers Club, το μεγαλύτερο Ελληνικό online design forum, αποτελεί μια Ελληνική κοινότητα σχεδιαστών οπτικής επικοινωνίας, υπό την ευρύτερη έννοια του όρου, θέλοντας να συμπεριλάβει στα μέλη της κάθε ειδικότητα και βαθμίδα όσων σπουδάζουν ή εργάζονται στον χώρο της επικοινωνίας, έντυπης, διαδικτυακής, τρισδιάστατης ή εφαρμογών πολυμέσων